Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Sheet rock screws: fine vs coarse thread?

On 2010-04-14, James Waldby wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 06:28:43 -0500, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" ... [wrote]:

At first glance, they looked like drywall screws, but examining one
showed that instead of having a sharp spiral point, they had a drill
bit point, so they would drill through the metal and then thread in --
going into pre-drilled and countersunk holes in the sides of the new
top.

Yeah? (Um... they're called "self-drilling sheet metal screws". Any
ACE Hardware store will have them) G

But sheet metal screws don't look like drywall screws. More likely
they were Drill Point Drywall Screws, as shown at top of
http://www.aaronswoodscrews.com/DrywallScrews.htm and one screen

Yes -- drill point bugle head blued like other drywall screws
I've seen.

down in http://www.smithfast.com/drywallthreads.html. The latter
also shows (near the end, after the Trim Head Drywall Screws section)
Auger Point Deck Screws that look somewhat like drywall screws.
(With Type-17 point, as mentioned in the link Larry Jaques gave,
http://www.midstatesbolt.com/screwpoints.htm.)

The first SELF-DRILLING in that list (just past "TYPE 25 POINT"
is exactly what they were using. And given the application, they made
sense. One tool (battery powered drill/driver), one screwdriver bit
(Phillips) and the screw which did its own drilling. Not what I would
have used to make a pretty job, but something which got the contract
done quickly. :-)

The screws were guided by the pre-drilled holes in the
replacement desk tops, and the steel which they had to drill through was
probably about 12 Gauge or thicker. (I never tried to measure it, but
those were *heavy* GSA steel desks.)

In case it matters, I'm in here from rec.crafts.metalworking,
not from alt.home.repair, so what I regularly work with is likely quite
different from what the ahr crowd (who is part of the cross-posting) does.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564