Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Adding air

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:26:11 -0400, aemeijers
wrote:

mm wrote:
Window ACs work better when you don't waste a window on
them. Most
come with optional cases meant for going through a wall, but
you might
not need even that.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:40:41 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Window AC draw air in the sides, to dump the heat out the
back. If you put them in a metal sleeve, they stop working.

Then why do they make metal sleeves for them? Why do apartments come
with metal sleeves already installed, waiting for ACs to be bought?

Why do motels always have their ACs in the metal sleeves? I'm sure
the motel AC worked. It's longer ago, but I'm sure my brother's
apartment AC also worked.

window AC and thru-wall AC AIN'T the same thing. Some units go both
ways, but most don't

Then he should get one that is thru-wall or goes both ways.

The 'motel' style units are usually a lot bigger,

Usually. I'm not counting the ones that are 3 feet wide or so, start
at the floor and og up almost two feet, and the entire thing stick 8
inches into the room.

and often include a heater.

I don't think you're saying otherwise, but the heater is irrelevant to
whether the sleeve is a problem when using the AC.

Before central AC units got cheap, lotsa
cheap apartment complexes did bulk deals on thru-wall units, and only
installed the sleeves as units were built. They keep a dozen extra out
back somewhere for ones that crap out or get killed by tenants. Major
PITA when that brand or size goes out of production, and they have to
scramble for a 'universal' one to fit that model-specific sleeve.