Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Mount outdoor outlet to stucco wall

On Apr 14, 3:39*pm, Evan wrote:
On Apr 13, 12:03*pm, "
wrote:

I like to mount an outdoor outlet box to a cement stucco wall. I tried
to punch through the breakout tabs at the back of the box but it is
not coming off. I am suspecting if it is even really a breakout tab.
Please help.... thanks

I would attach that box using molly bolts, sealing them individually
prior to tightening them...

How are you planning on getting the power feed to this outlet box
are you going to use a conduit stub through the wall or find
moisture rated romex cable and a rain tight connector to fit in the
space at the back of the box...

Simpler to use a conduit stub and run the wires that way...

Good advice on sealing the box to the wall with caulking, but you
really do want to fill any holes you make around the power feed
and the fasteners before you put the box in final position, as the
caulk can fail and little bugs can climb up from underneath and
enter through any little holes you leave behind the box...

If you are worried about "more support" for that box, you could
purchase more of the tabs and screws at an electric supply house
and use all four mounting points, but that seems like overkill...
Are you planning to stand on this box after it is mounted on the
wall or something ?

~~ Evan

"Are you planning to stand on this box after it is mounted on the
wall or something ?"

I have some extension cords and tool plugs that require a decent
amount of force to remove from the receptacle. By "a decent amount" I
mean more than a couple of (or even four) plastic anchors in 1/2
stucco could withstand for very long.

That's why we're suggesting screws that reach the sheathing or a stud
or maybe even molly bolts.