Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Leafproof gutter covers.

DerbyDad03 wrote:

I'm curious about this statement:

"a mesh with opening of no more than 1/4 inch"

Are they more concerned with the size of the opening than the fact
that it is mesh - or both?

Mesh is ok, as long as it is non-combustible.

In other words, is it possible that a solid cover would actually be
acceptable and the requirement is just poorly worded?

Solid cover would be fine, except all the ones I've seen have a curved lip
that direct the water back into the gutter, (while most leaves and all the
gravel would fall over the edge outside the gutter), through an opening that
is an approx 1/2 inch continous opening or slots that are about 3/8' by
approx 2". My neighbor has the former and after three years of no
maintainence are quite full with debris. Neither style would meet the
insurance requirements.

In other, other words "If it's a mesh, the openings cannot be larger
than 1/4". "

Correct.

Taking it to the extreme, one could argue that they are not concerned
with how *small* the openings are, just how big.

Correct again. It is me that wants, (for maintainence reasons), if I'm going
to go to the trouble and expense of installing covers, to avoid
getting the gravel in gutters. Several of the stainless steel mesh products
would do this, but I'm concerned about the pollen gumming up the works issue
that I've talked about in some of my other replies.

Thanks,
Kevin

Per
molecules - obviously I'm being somewhat facitious, but I think you
get my point.

Do they *specifically* not allow solid covers?