Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Leafproof gutter covers.

Yes, we have live oaks too. The trees surround and are close to the
house, but are not directly over it. I have a 6 in 12 pitch, and except for
one small valley area and the currently uncovered gutters, no leaves
accumulate.

I have samples of several products that do keep all except the finest dust
from entering the gutters. These all use a fine stainless steel mesh. In one
product the mesh is as small as 50 microns. My concern with them is the
possibility of the mesh gumming up with pollen that would be hard to remove.

I hadn't seen the particular product that you
provided the link to, but it doesn't meet my requirements in that all the
gravel will go into the gutters, and pine needles, (We are in an oak to pine
transition zone), will get stuck in the holes.

I have dealt with removing the gravel in the gutters after installin a new
roof in the past. I want to avoid that if I can for the following reasons;

The downspouts all drain into corrugated plastic pipes that trave for some
distance underground. I don't want to simply wash the graves into those
pipes as there may be some low slopes sections that would clog up. therefore
I'd have to disconnect the downspouts whenever i washed the gutters out.

With the covers in place, because the preasure from a hose will only move
the gravel to a certain degree, I'd have to remove probably every other
section of cover in order to be able to move the gravel.

Thanks,
Kevin.

JimT wrote:

IMHO: You're going to get debris in your gutters regardless. If they are
angled properly the debris is going to accumulate. As far as expense, and
ease of insulation I like these:

http://www.virtuepro.com/images/arti...ter+guards.jpg

They are at HD. You have to have a certain type of gutter to work. They
to be installed right or they will warp.

Also, You are going to have to get on your roof and clean it if you have
trees over your house. With or without gutters. Unless you have a severe
pitch. We have live oaks (talk about pollen!) and I get up there about 2
or 3 times a year.