Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
454 454 is offline

Default Oxidisation of Seagate & WDC PCBs

Arno wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sjouke Burry
wrote:
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair Arno wrote:

[...]
Mine is fine on both sides. However there is a quite a bit of
contact area that looks and feels silver-plated to me, most
notably areound the screws and on the bottom the contacts to the
head assembly.

That makes me wonder why are they silver-plated. It is definitely
not the best material longevitywise, especially for such low-level
signals. It makes me even more suspicious and adds to the
conspiracy theory.

You know of course that the black silver layer is still conductive
for low level signals??

Silver Silfide is a (bad) conductor?

Nope.

That will help for the R/W signal. However the lines for the moving coil
go through the same connector and they need a low resistance path.

The black silver layer conducts that fine.