Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Arno is offline

Default Oxidisation of Seagate & WDC PCBs

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Sjouke Burry wrote:
Sergey Kubushyn wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair Arno wrote:

[...]
Mine is fine on both sides. However there is a quite a bit of contact
area that looks and feels silver-plated to me, most notably areound
the screws and on the bottom the contacts to the head assembly.

That makes me wonder why are they silver-plated. It is definitely not the
best material longevitywise, especially for such low-level signals. It makes
me even more suspicious and adds to the conspiracy theory.

You know of course that the black silver layer is still conductive
for low level signals??

Silver Silfide is a (bad) conductor? That will help for the
R/W signal. However the lines for the moving coil go through
the same connector and they need a low resistance path.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
----