Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Measuring the CFM of a fan - Followup

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:01:44 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I ran the blower for a 5 minutes, more or less, & afterward I noticed
the smell of heat. Yes, the motor was getting hot. Damn. I checked
the speed - it was only 630 rpm, and the rating is 1075. The cap was
neither shorted nor open, but I tried another & still slow.

I'm assuming that I'm SOL - that the winding is shorted - but what do I
know. Am I right, or is there something else that could be wrong? And
fixable?

Throttle the input or output and try again. Many blowers use maximum
power when moving maximum air volume. Block the intake of a shop vac
and note that the motor speed increases.

--
Ned Simmons