Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RBnDFW RBnDFW is offline

Default How to move rocks 400-1000 lbs

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:49:04 -0700 (PDT), the infamous Jim Wilkins
scrawled the following:

On Apr 14, 12:15 pm, RBnDFW wrote:

I have one next to my carport that needs to migrate to somewhere else in
the yard. This one is red sandstone, about 4'x8'x18"
I have no idea what it weighs.

http://www.simetric.co.uk/si_materials.htm
Stone weighs around 2.3 to 3 times as much as water. For rough mental
calculations I use 2.5 for the specific gravity of both stone and
aluminum, or 2.8 for stone if I have a calculator. Notice that stone
is "heavy" and aluminum is "light" but they are actually about equally
dense.

Water weighs 62.4 Lbs per cubic foot.

A cubic yard of granite gravel weighs 4,000 to 5,000 pounds, depending
on grit size. The finer, the heavier.

So, rounding my dimensions to account for taper = 45 CF
Assuming this sandstone is at the low end of weight = 143 lb./cf
I get about 6500 lbs.

I think I need a rough-terrain forklift