Posted to alt.home.repair
Twayne[_3_] Twayne[_3_] is offline

Default Sheet rock screws: fine vs coarse thread?

In ,
Jules Richardson typed:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:27:20 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

Is there a name for the little clutch assembly that
disconnects drive when the screw is driven to the right
depth? Can they be bought to fit on regular drills? I don't
remember seeing them at the store, but they're the sort of
widget that it might be useful to have.

I don't recall what they're called but they aren't expensive.
I got mine either at Harbor Freight or Sears; forget which
now. Handy for all kinds of jobs.

HTH,

Twayne`

But those square-drive screws would have been really nice
going into those old, hard Doug fir studs that caused the
Phillips heads to get ground into metal flakes ...

I think all the Phillips bits I have are Dewalt, and
they're almost too good - usually the bit takes a long time
to wear, and the screw head itself is the bit that gets
messed up :-(

cheers

Jules