Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sheet rock screws: fine vs coarse thread?

On 4/13/2010 7:40 PM spake thus:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:11:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

I have never seen a square drive drywall screw. You actually want
drywall screws to cam out before they go in too deep.
That is also why a #2 drywall bit is a lot "pointier" that a regular
#2. It is a torque limiting design.

I do agree on just about any other type of screw. Phillips is not as
good as square for torque but torx is better than both of them,.

"I have never seen a square drive drywall screw."

After visiting here you will have:

http://www.fastenermegastore.com/fin...44.html?ref=23

These don't show the head, but are listed as Drywall Screws, Square
Drive Coarse

http://www.drillspot.com/hardware-an...-drive-coarse/

I suspect these are "drywall screws" are for drywall like "duct tape"
is for ducts.,
Good for everything but drywall. You do want a drywall screw to cam
out as soon as it bottoms, not when it is pulled as tight as you can
screw it.

But isn't that supposed to be a function of how you adjust your screw
gun to just dimple the drywall? Of course you're gonna drive the screw
right through the gyprock panel if you crank on it.

Not that I've ever used such a screw gun, nosiree.

But those square-drive screws would have been really nice going into
those old, hard Doug fir studs that caused the Phillips heads to get
ground into metal flakes ...