Posted to sci.electronics.repair
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Safety of microwave cooking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 19:39:02 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 02:01:21 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Over the years that I knew him, I lost count of the number of his colleagues
that literally dropped dead from heart attacks. No warnings. No previously
known health problems. Sadly, my father-in-law also finally succumbed to the
same fate. He was only in his mid fifties, reasonably trim and fit, didn't
drink and didn't smoke. There had been no warnings prior to the event, that
anything was wrong. He simply dropped down on the golf course from a massive
coronary, and died a few hours later in hospital, after suffering two more.

Well, you can add one more person to the collection. I didn't drop
dead, but came close. In 2002, I narrowly missed having a heart
attack by having a triple bypass operation. I've been exposed to all
manner of RF for the previous 45 years. I don't drink or smoke. Other
than kidney stones, I had no previous maladies. Sounds like a
parallel to your father-in-law.

However, we both left out some details. My parents and family have a
history of cardiac issues. Those that died a natural death invariably
died from a stroke, heart attack, or similar cause. The family also
has a history of high blood pressure, which is largely invisible to
the casual observer. If I dropped dead today from a stroke or
coronary infraction, would you blame my genetics or my exposure to RF?

Moral: Pick you parents wisely.

Almost exactly the same story as Jeff (even the triple bypass at 48).
Bad choice in parents certainly contributed in my case, but heart
problems were not common in the family until my generation: my older
sister and I both have had bypass operations, with a low HDL being the
main problem for me.