Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus18864 Ignoramus18864 is offline

Default How to move rocks 400-1000 lbs

OK, guys, thanks. I did some reading of my own, it seems that people
recommend fabric slings over chains, so I will try slings first. One
way or another, we will get them to move.

On 2010-04-14, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Apr 13, 10:36?pm, Ignoramus11847 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11847.invalid wrote:
My neighbor is doing some landscaping and I offered him help in moving
a few rocks. These vary in weight between 400 and 1000 lbs.

I have a truck, chains, engine hoist (crane), chain puller etc. If I
can lift those rocks, I could just put them on a catr or something, or
just drag.

Ordinarily lifting such things would not be a problem, but I do not
know how I can grab relatively round objects that are without lifting
eyes or corners. I figure that someone must have invented a great way
to grab rocks with just chain and grab hooks. Any ideas?

I've moved rocks up to 1100 Lbs on this shop crane with extra wheels
added to run on dirt:
http://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/W...51034176921634

Each rock is different, but in general I wrap a chain around it and
test which way it slides off, then hook on another chain between the
points where it slips to hold it. My 5' sling chains have a grab hook
on one end and a shackle on the other. The shackle can be connected
anywhere to take up slack. They are really helpful to turn the chain
into a net. When you buy shackles be sure the pins and eyes fit
through the chain. There are only a few combinations that work.

The 1100 Lb rock was roughly football shaped, the chain would slip off
either end. IIRC I looped a chain around each end and joined the loops
at the top. That is a 20' (?) chain with grab hooks on both ends. If
it had been rounder I would have connected the two loops with short
chains down low. When pulled tight that makes a ring of chain around
the rock hung from four supports, and the chains hang in place (from
the crane hook) during setup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_hitch

jsw