Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Leafproof gutter covers.

On Apr 13, 8:01*pm, Kevin wrote:
I am planning on having a new roof, gutters, and some type of leaf guard
gutter top installed. I have had several quotes from roofers and gutter
installers, but have not been able to make any decision regarding which
type of gutter cover to have installed. I have seen about 10 different
products and each of them seem to have their drawbacks.

I don't want a product that has holes big enough that the gravel off the
new asphalt shingles will enter the gutter and need to be periodically
removed. The types that have a solid top, but rely on a curved front edge
to direct the water back into the gutter don't meet the requirements of my
insurance company that there be, "a mesh with opening of no more than 1/4
inch". (I live in a high fire risk area in N. California, and are
surrounded by trees.)

I have seen five different products that have a fine stainless steel mesh
on the top. These meet my requirements as far as not allowing the gravel
into the gutter, and having a small mesh size. However one vendor with a
different product, said that pollen, (most of the surrounding trees are
oaks), will gum up the holes. Also he claimed that leaves will sit on top
of the mesh, and because the mesh holes are so small that much of the
water will not flow through the mesh and will just flow over the top of
the leaves, and over the edge of the gutter to the ground.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with such
toppers, especially regarding the pollen issue.

Also, I am surprised just how many different topper products there are out
there. Perhaps there is one that meets my primary requirements, (no gravel
going into the gutter, and no openings larger than 1/4"), that I haven't
seen yet. If so I'd appreciate hearing about it.

TIA
Kevin

Anything with a smalll enough screen to keep out the lose particles
from your new roofing shingles will also clog up with detrius from
surrounding trees. I finally settled (in the chicago suburbs for a
plastic cover over the gutter with 1/4 in (approx) holes. Loose
grains from the roof do hgo into the gutter, but a good rain washes
them into the downspouts. THe little butterfly wings maple seeds do
get stuck in some of the holes, but disintegrate fairly quickly and
also flush out.