Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Safety of microwave cooking

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:45:49 -0500, Jeffrey D Angus
wrote:

gonzo wrote:
http://www.relfe.com/microwave.html

"Standing in front of a microwave is also highly damaging to
your health.

Yep. Most of the small amount of RF leakage comes out the sides of
the oven, around the door seal and hinges. I have several microwave
oven leakage detectors. There's next to nothing coming out the front.

Perhaps you have already felt this intuitively?

That explains my growling stomach. However, it may also have been my
cooking, which I suspect is equally as dangerous as RF.

We know that cells explode in the microwave - just fry an
egg in your microwave. We are made up of trillions of cells.

Ummm... cooking is the art of breaking down cellular structures by
removing most of the water. Whether the water is removed by microwave
or incineration, the results are similar. Oddly, boiling in water,
the method of cooking that results in the minimum water loss, also
results in the largest vitamin loss, all by dilution because most
vitamins are water soluble.

Incidentally, on the vitamin front:
http://www.thedietchannel.com/Microwave-Cooking-And-Food-Vitamins.htm

So work out how many are getting damaged if you stand in
front of your microwave for 5-10 minutes."

You have somewhere between 10 and 100 trillion cells. You can afford
to lose a few.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20020625.html

Pfffft. That was the sound of your credibility going up in
smoke.

You obviously don't want to hear it, so I'm not going to waste
my time explaining how a microwave oven works.

Dielectric heating.

Jeff

Chef Jeff.

--