Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default A short story

On 2010-04-13, Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

I spent an hour on the phone last week with two actual Marines in
Afghanistan with the 4th LAR.

Care to share a synopsis? I'd really like to know how it is going.
4th LAR, what is that, it didn't strike bell in my head?

I second that.

H&S Co. is doing interdiction missions, they are hard against the Pakistan
border, from Khan Neshin and they will be rotating back to the States
shortly.
It's hot - 120 F - during the day and there is a lot of dust.
LOL
They have two seasons, hot blowing dust followed by rain and mud. That
varies depending on where, exactly, you are.
The mountains are another matter and don't count. It's no man's land.

The regular Afghan Army is an excellent, well equipped and disciplined
fighting force. As good as there is.

The general population are just like people everywhere. They are poor but
care about the same things anyone does.
Food on the table and the well being of their children and so forth. They
are friendly, approachable and generous.
Like all people anywhere caught in a gang war, they normally keep their
heads down and go about their daily business as best they can.
They would like for things be calm and absent that they try and stay out of
the way, unnoticed.

The district/regional/national police, the politician's, and many of the
local militia's are as corrupt as can be, gangsters really. Afghanistan is
little more than an organized criminal enterprise. Nothing has changed in
this regard since the last super power visited Afghanistan. This guy Karzai
is just our "Don" and there is little reason to think that change is in the
air.

Beyond that there isn't much I could, or would, have to say.
Well, maybe just one thing.
I'll be glad to see our guys home, and that's what they are. Our guys, not
mine.

--
John R. Carroll