Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Mount outdoor outlet to stucco wall

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:42:16 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Apr 13, 6:04*pm, Oren wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 12:46:30 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

Construction adhesive might help, but it's only going to be as strong
as the stucco's adhesion to the wall since that's what you'll be
gluing it to.

No matter using tabs or drill through the back, I am thinking of using
plastic anchors in the stucco. Would that work?
The cement stucco is about 1/2" thick, and the plywood behind it is
another 1/2" thick...

Use two toggle bolts. Drill 1/8" holes in the back of the box and
larger holes into stucco and through the plywood. Mount the box and
tighten it up. Finish with a bead of caulk around the box to keep
critters and water out.

My pool timer and landscape lighting transformer are mounted with
"plastic anchors" in the stucco.

That may be fine for "fixed objects" but I don't think I'd trust (per
the OP) an "outdoor outlet box" mounted with plastic anchors in
stucco.

I have lot's of different cords that I plug into outdoor receptacles
and some of them take quite a lot of force to engage/disengage. By "a
lot" I mean more than I would want to subject plastic anchors in 1/2"
stucco to.

Agreed, hence my suggestion to use toggle bolts on the box, if he has
ply behind the stucco.

Also, I would avoid plastic anchors for the outlet box.