Posted to alt.home.repair
frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default Waterlogged Pressure Tank- Update

I see I am listed on the Webb receipt as a "preferred customer." By
the way, the branch that wouldn't sell me the tank quoted me $18 for
the same item that another branch (the one where I bought the tank)
quoted me $10 for!

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:50:49 -0400, frank1492
wrote:

I know this used to be the case at Webb, Grainger and others but many
branches seem to have long since relaxed this policy. This seemed to
have nothing to do with not wanting me as a customer- they would sell
me anything else but the tank! Also the *same* store had no problem
setting up an order for me for a tank 2 days earlier! (I called to
change the tank size and talked to a different guy today.) Plus two
other stores never mentioned the restriction and either one would have
sold me willingly. And the price quotes were extremely friendly.

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:33:00 -0400, "Ed Pawlowski"
wrote:

"frank1492" wrote
I got great service and an excellent price from F.W. Webb-- but
only after calling a second store. The guy at the first store said he
couldn't sell me unless I was a licensed plumber!!
Have you ever heard of such a thing?????

Yes, I have. Webb is one of the larger plumbing supply houses and sells
wholesale. Most of their customers are either commercial, industrial, or
professional accounts and they don't want to compete with (and **** off)
their customers. You'll get a similar answer if you go to Green Giant and
want to buy a can of peas.