Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default Sheet rock screws: fine vs coarse thread?

On 4/13/2010 2:23 PM DerbyDad03 spake thus:

Typically, it's coarse thread thread for wood studs, fine thread for
metal studs. The fine thread screws also have a sharper point so they
are easier to start, *especially* when trying to pierce metal studs.

While you might think that you want coarse threads for more "grab" in
the metal studs, in reality you want less space *between* the threads
so that the thin metal can't move.

Here are some thoughts on using drywall screws for woodworking...

http://www.woodbin.com/misc/drywall_screws.htm

Thanks for that; excellent article. Pretty much jibes with my own
experience with drywall vs. wood screws. I much prefer coarse threads
for wood. (Never used fine-thread drywall screws for their original
intended purpose of securing to metal framing.)