Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sheet rock screws: fine vs coarse thread?

On Apr 13, 5:37*pm, Stuart Wheaton wrote:
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Existential Angst" wrote in message
Awl --

Purpose? *Applications?

The *minor diameter of the fine thread (under 2") appears to be about .115
(mebbe less, due to inadequate penetration of caliper edge), and .090 on
the coarse. *Ergo, more "grab" with the coarse.

I'm guessing the following:

Coarse thread is for sheet rock on metal studs -- more grab on studs.
* Altho framing screws, which afaik are only for metal stud to metal stud,
also come in coarse and fine thread, so this may muddy this particular
logic. * Mebbe for different gauges of metal studs? *I've seen some much
heavier than others.

Coarse thread for particle board et al.

Fine thread for hardwood.

Opinions?

The Gougeon Brothers of sailboat fame did tests of coarse- versus
fine-thread screws in wood back in the '60s. Coarse-thread won. Sheet metal
screws beat wood screws in wood every time. That was before sheet rock
screws.

www.mcFeelys.com

About any screw you might want, and square drive is the ONLY option as
far as I'm concerned!

Stuart- Hide quoted text -

"square drive is the ONLY option as far as I'm concerned!"

Unless you think you might find yourself with the need to disassemble
what you've put together and there's a danger of no (or not enough)
square drive bits being available.

I'm often involved in set-up and tear downs for events where lots of
dry wall screws are used. You can *always* find a screw gun, usually
with a # 2 phillips bit already installed, within arm's reach. Try
locating a square drive bit - and of the right size - when something
needs to fixed/adjusted with moment's notice.

When it comes to volunteer events like these, you want to go with the
most common fasteners so that anyone (and everyone) can pitch in. # 2
phillips screws are still the most common and I don't see that
changing any time soon - even if square drives are better.