Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Mount outdoor outlet to stucco wall

On Apr 13, 12:18*pm, "
wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:10*am, wrote:

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:03:13 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:
I like to mount an outdoor outlet box to a cement stucco wall. I tried
to punch through the breakout tabs at the back of the box but it is
not coming off. I am suspecting if it is even really a breakout tab.
Please help.... thanks

Please see photos of the outlet box....

http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/kohler/photo4.jpg
http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/kohler/photo5.jpg
http://www.sopmedia.com/sopguest/kohler/photo6.jpg

The instructions tell you to mount the box using the tabs in that
plastic bag.
You might be able to punch out those holes with a drift punch but I
would drill them.

There are only 2 tabs in the plastic bag. If I am mounting the box
vertically, do i install the tabs diagonally, that is, one at the top
left and the other at the bottom right of the box? Would it be strong
enough to hold the box securely on the wall?- Hide quoted text -

Two screws on a diagonal should work fine as long as they are long
enough to find something to bite into behind the stucco.

I'm not sure why you need the tabs. I would drill holes in the back of
the box and run my screws through them. Use washers if you want a
little more support around the heads.

Construction adhesive might help, but it's only going to be as strong
as the stucco's adhesion to the wall since that's what you'll be
gluing it to.