Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Unscrew Kohler faucet handle - help...

On Apr 13, 4:51�pm, " wrote:
On Apr 12, 10:58�pm, "Smarty" wrote:

Oren wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:03:47 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I am trying to unscrew my Kohler faucet but it just not giving in.
Do I need to use a strap wrench or something? I don't want to
scratch the chrome surface. I took 3 photos. It's the one in
photo2.jpg.

Thanks

http://sopmedia.com/sopguest/kohler/photo.jpg
http://sopmedia.com/sopguest/kohler/photo2.jpg
http://sopmedia.com/sopguest/kohler/photo3.jpg

Key words: "set screw"?

--
My Kohler faucets look almost identical, and are from the Kohler
"Revival" series. There is no set-screw!

The faucet is disassembled by turning the tapered, polished brass,
escutcheon / bezel counter-clockwise as viewed looking down from atop
the fixture handle.

In my case, the plumber had used a bit of silicone caulk to water-proof
the contact ring where the brass escutcheon meets the (marble)
counter-top, so it took a lot of force to turn / break the caulk. I was
able to do it without use of any tool or gripping device, but I did use
a sheet of rubber (a kitchen silicone pot holder actually) to add
friction and prevent my slightly oily hand from slipping.

It takes some muscle and grunting. At least it did in my case.

Good luck, and please report back on your progress. If yours is like
mine, the next issue will be the challenge of getting the ceramic valve
out to repair the leak...... I will have a suggestion there if you need
it.

Smarty

I am going to get a strap wrench today and see if I can unscrew it. I
already got the replacement cartridge from Kohler. Do I just pop off
the old cartridge using a screwdriver or something? Let me know if you
have a suggestion. Thanks again...- Hide quoted text -

If some sort of sealant has been applied under the faucet, you can
sometimes relieve the "stiction " by sawing it out with a hacksaw
blade with one end wrapped in insulating tape so you can grasp it.
You need to be carful not to damage adjacent polished surfaces.