Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Drywall

On Apr 13, 10:14*am, stryped wrote:
On Apr 13, 9:10*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Apr 13, 9:15*am, stryped wrote:

On Apr 13, 8:08*am, jamesgangnc wrote:

On Apr 13, 8:31*am, stryped wrote:

If I were to put drywall in my garage, then cover with the pre painted
water resistant 1/8 inch boards at Lowes, would the tapered ends of
the drywall be visable? I am debating going with OSB under those or
drywall.

You could stagger the 1/8" so that the drywall ends are under the
middle of the 1/8" boards.

Would OSb instead be acceptable? This is a detached garage/shop.

There has been a lot of debate about that in another thread. *OSB
burns pretty readily. *OSB is also difficult to finish as it's surface
can flake off.

I am building a garage and would also like something less fragile than
drywall as a wall covering. *But so far I have not found any drywall
alternatives that are price competitive and somewhat fire resistant.
If you figure something out I'd like to hear about it.

My idea would be to glue these white painted 1/8 panels to the osb.
WOuld this work?- Hide quoted text -

I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's not what I would do. Install
the first layer of covering starting at one end. You will need to cut
the last sheet vertically to make it fit. Then start at that end and
add your 1/8" going back in the other direction. This will offset
your seams. Frankly I'd also go with the drywall as I see no
advantage to the osb since you are covering it with something harder.
You could even save some by using the 3/8" drywall.