Posted to rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Another Planer Question

I have an older version of about the same planer that you found
available locally. It is also a 2hp model, made in Taiwan, I think.
I use it only occasionally and have planed 12 inch boards, max. But I
have had it for over 20 years, so I have some experience with the breed.
One one hand, it works for me. I plane mostly hard woods, like maple,
and oak. I'd say it all depends on how much you are going to use it
and how much cranking it up and down you want to do to get a light
enough cut on the wider boards.

But, here's another thought:
If the money is really important, why not consider getting that planer
and then upgrading to a 3 hp motor? My planer came either way. The
instructions tell me that they added a little 1/16" inch shim to prevent
the used form taking too deep a cut with the 2 hp model, so upgrading
shouldn't be an issue.
Also, mine came wired for 120 volts even though the motor can go
either 120 or 240. I am just too lazy to rewire to 240, but I am sure
that would give me more ummph.
You would probably have to upgrade the starter, too, but I think HF
and maybe Grizzly or someone like that has reasonably priced stuff.

May biggest concern, (if that planer is like mine):
-Make sure that the power feed knob is all the way out (there's a
detent). I didn't pay attention that once and it allowed the drive
gears to be in partial mesh. Since those gears aren't hardened, they got
chewed up a little bit then they wouldn't engage. I tore down the drive
assy, cleaned up the gears, etc. and reassembled it. That was about 5
years ago and it has been working fine ever since.

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Sonny wrote:

I've been looking for a 15" planer for a long time.

There's a used Grizzly 1021 available, locally, for about $500.... I
haven't inspected it, yet. I will definitely be planing 12" - 15"
boards. Did a search for reviews: Seems the consensus about this
planer is that the 2 hp motor is too weak for moderate/frequent use on
wide boards.

I've almost convinced myself to get a new G0453 or comparable, instead
of continuing to look for an adequatly powered used planer. Listings
for the G0453 seem to indicate the blades (~$50) and the blade setter
(~$100) don't come with the machine... have to purchase them
separately, or am I wrong?

Is 2 hp too weak for planing wide boards?

Is there a better 15" planer, $1200 and under, than the G0453?

Sonny