Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 01:35:05 -0700, the infamous "LDosser"
scrawled the following:

"Bill" wrote in message
Bill wrote:

I'm the same person, but somehow I'm a more learned person--that's one of
great things about staying young is you get to keep on learning!

Bill

I've been reading James Krenov's book, "A Cabinet Makers Notebook".
I just finished the first chapter on "Wood". He gives the reader
plenty of opportunity to "learn something"! : )

During my own reflection I observed that the beauty of using tools
is in using them well. They sing their own song (but please don't
tell anyone I said that)!

I'll get roasted for this,

To be sure. Openly taunting the Gods of Woodworking like that can get
you into big trouble, too, Lob. RIP, my friend.

but it seems to me Krenov made a career out of
one medicine cabinet. A very nice cabinet and one I wish I'd done, but the
same one over and over. Variations on a theme.

I think the cabinet was his principle incarnate, and that's what made
him famous. People love it, and that's why his books became widely
read. Yes, lovely cabinet, and I,too, wish I'd created it, but it
wouldn't fit in my house style or lifestyle. David Marks puts out
such a wide variety of articles that I could definitely see some of
his stuff in my home...whenever I get off my arse and clean my shop. I
have copies of some of his plans from when he first released them. I
followed his TV program from start to finish. He's my hero. (You can
keep your flannel-shirted Norms and polying Dresdners, TYVM.)

Do you feel that Maloof was a one-rocker pony, too? nomex=ON

Same as some authors, James
Patterson comes to mind, write the same book over and over.

Never having read him, I Amazoned his work and see that he may be a
3-trick pony. Alex Cross, Woman's Murder Club, and Maximum Ride.
Or are they all riding the same pony?

--
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace
will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will