Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Tile in garage?

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:54:39 -0400, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 17:37:03 -0400, the infamous Joseph Gwinn
scrawled the following:

I had my basement floor painted with gray latex deck paint, so oil
wouldn't
soak in and I could wash it. Didn't quite work, and paint was not the
problem.
The concrete itself wore away to dust wherever I habitually stood, like
in front
of the machines. The concrete probably didn't have enough cement in it,
and so
wasn't strong enough.

One of the liquid/low viscosity epoxies might have helped, or even
just a sealer.

I don't see how paint can solve such a problem - the concrete itself is
crumbling from foot traffic alone, and not a lot of that, but it would be
difficult to get enough penetration to make up a thick enough layer of epoxy
concrete.

In that case, drill some holes knock out some chunks, clean it out,
vacuum it, spray it with water, and float a layer of real crete on
top. 5,000psi with strands might work in a woodworking shop with
lighter machines, but you'll need a whole new floor for the big,
heavy, metalworking machines.

Yep. Ain't going to happen. Too much like work.

Well, actually the metalworking machines are not wearing the floor out, it's the
owner's constant pacing.

Joe Gwinn