Posted to rec.woodworking
hex hex is offline

Default Another Planer Question

On Apr 12, 8:32*pm, Sonny wrote:
I've been looking for a 15" planer for a long time.

There's a used Grizzly 1021 available, locally, for about $500.... I
haven't inspected it, yet. *I will definitely be planing 12" - 15"
boards. *Did a search for reviews: *Seems the consensus about this
planer is that the 2 hp motor is too weak for moderate/frequent use on
wide boards.

I've almost convinced myself to get a new G0453 or comparable, instead
of continuing to look for an adequatly powered used planer. *Listings
for the G0453 seem to indicate the blades (~$50) and the blade setter
(~$100) don't come with the machine... have to purchase them
separately, or am I wrong?

Is 2 hp too weak for planing wide boards?

Is there a better 15" planer, $1200 and under, than the G0453?

Sonny

My dad has a precursor to the G0453 (no recollection of the model
number) -- undermounted 3HP motor, stationary planer, two speed
mechanical feed, straight blades with no fancy helical carbide
inserts. 3HP will take a pretty decent swipe a 13" board (about the
widest I've ever put through it). But 10-12" hard maple makes it
grunt even on a fairly light pass with relatively fresh blades. It's
wicked noisy. I'd have to get a heck of a deal before going down to 2
HP.

One thing that you might do is keep an eye out for an old Woodmaster
or Foley-Belsaw planer molder -- I picked up a 12" FB with 5HP motor
for about $250 a couple of years ago on CL. I figured it was a no-
brainer and I could probably part it out if I missed something when I
looked it over or even if I had to dump a couple hundred into new feed
rollers etc I'd come out ok. I have only ever used the FB as a planer
and have never cut molding with it. It has been a decent planer for
the 1500 to 2000 sf of red and white oak I've put through it. I've
never pushed it to the point of abuse, but it's never bogged down
cleaning up 11" wide white oak glue ups or running two 5" boards side
by side. I inherited my late brother's 5HP 12" Woodmaster which I
use for molding, gang rip, and as a drum sander -- but I've never
planed with it. Big moldings knives will make it sweat, as will
aggressive sanding. FB has a one speed chain and sprocket feed; the
Woodmaster has continuously variable speed feed. All that being
said, how important is 15" compared to 12" -- even if you have 15"
stock will you really be finishing it whole or ripping it down? The
only big advantage I find for wider blades is that you can go a little
longer between changes by using different sections of the cutters.
Sharpening is wash since my local guy charges by length.

hex
-30-