Posted to rec.woodworking
Steve Turner[_3_] Steve Turner[_3_] is offline

Default Another Planer Question

On 4/12/2010 8:32 PM, Sonny wrote:
I've been looking for a 15" planer for a long time.

There's a used Grizzly 1021 available, locally, for about $500.... I
haven't inspected it, yet. I will definitely be planing 12" - 15"
boards. Did a search for reviews: Seems the consensus about this
planer is that the 2 hp motor is too weak for moderate/frequent use on
wide boards.

I've almost convinced myself to get a new G0453 or comparable, instead
of continuing to look for an adequatly powered used planer. Listings
for the G0453 seem to indicate the blades (~$50) and the blade setter
(~$100) don't come with the machine... have to purchase them
separately, or am I wrong?

The G0453 comes with knives installed and already adjusted, and the knife
adjustment gauge is also included with the machine.

Is 2 hp too weak for planing wide boards?

That's a big "it depends", but in all likelihood: Yes. "2HP" isn't very
meaningful without the specifications such as amperage, motor RPM, cutterhead
RPM, feed rate, etc., but in general I'd say that if you truly need 15"
capacity you should be looking at 220V machines with 3HP induction motors like
the G0453.

Is there a better 15" planer, $1200 and under, than the G0453?

If there is I didn't find one. It's built like a tank and has power to spare.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.