Posted to rec.woodworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default What is a "Flattener"?

I am the original poster. I don't consider myself a troll. Just because
you don't know about this machine doesn't make it non existant.
In researching my request, I came upon a forum (which I unfortunately
didn't bookmark that discussed the problem. One poster said that he had
made a sled to emulate the flatter with a planer. He used flat head
screws on the sled board, just as my acquaintance had talked of "nails"
on the top with the planer knives below.

I live in rural western Wisconsin. There are and have been dozens of
small sawmills and wood working factories in the area since the late
1800's. I have seen and heard of many shop-made machines that weren't
necessarily available to troll sensors.

If you have a problem with something I said, you should contact me.

Pete Stanaitis

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

snip
Was this a troll and everyone is playing along or have I entered the
twilight zone where the concept and reason for of a Jointer has
vanished?

snip

Sounds like this guy talking about a flattener with some nail bed
holder thing is smoking some pretty good sawdust.