John Rumm

Default PC audio setup for home office

Ian Mayo wrote:

I've now got a supplemental question:

Can anybody recommend an audio setup for my home office which would allow me
to hear 5.1 audio from my PC, CD's from my PC, and radio? My PC has 5.1
optical output.

So, I could buy a radio card for the PC, together with a 5.1 amplifier and
have the whole thing controlled from the PC. Alternatively I could look out
for a cheap home cinema amp/dvd player which has built-in radio, and just
use the PC as an aux input to it. Having a non-PC controlled volume control
does seem an advantage.

Anybody have any opinions?

I'd like to keep the budget to under ?200 if I can.

We have had some very good reports from customers with the Creative Labs
"Creative Inspire 5.1 5100" speakers.

These are active (i.e. built in amp) systems with 5 x satellite, and 1 x
sub. When fed from a suitable sound card with a 5.1 compatible output
they are capable of producing a surprisingly good sound considering the
cost. Separate volume control, but no separate digital input (i.e. you
would need to use a digital input on your sound card for feeding an
external digital signal in).

Details he

http://uk.europe.creative.com/produc...t.asp?prod=336

They do other sets set with a separate decoder box that provides digital
in as well - these are a bit more pricey though:-

http://uk.europe.creative.com/produc...t.asp?prod=375

(ignore the prices on the creative labs site - they can certainly be had
for less!)

--
Cheers,

John.