Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill McKee Bill McKee is offline

Default OT How the Corporations Broke Ralph Nader and America, Too.

Ed Huntress wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
What I remember most about that car was that it was banned from
racing G

Jeez, you want to get me going again? g That was the Sucker Car,
which was banned at LeMans. The guy, or his engineering team (Hall
was an excellent engineer himself, by all accounts) came up with one
genius thing after another. The FIA finally got pushed over the edge
when he showed up with a car that had an "auxiliary" engine of 40 hp
that sucked the air out from under the car and slammed it down to the
track like a leech. d8-)

I thought they had raced it somewhere snd kicked everyones ass.
I did see one of the two(?) that were put together.
Pretty cool looking and they ran it around the Tech Center track after
lunch
the day I was there.
I think they toured the car to auto shows or something but I just don't
remember.

Hall got ****ed, withdrew from racing, and left it all to Ford and
their GTs (I hope Banquer isn't listening -- he'll jump in here and
make a real mess if he sees that).

Ford wanted a to win no matter the cost and he did.
LOL

--
John R. Carroll

Jim Hall introduced so many innovations that I don't remember them all. I
saw his first winged cars at Watkins Glen, and we all stood there with
our jaws hanging down as they went around the track like they were on
rails. We didn't know then that they had automatic (2-speed)
transmissions with "super" torque converters -- Hall kept it a secret for
quite a while.

He went on to flabbergast the Europeans, too. He had skirts, and air
dams, and all kinds of things. First they outlawed his movable wings.
Then they outlawed wings mounted on the suspension uprights (he may not
have been the originator of that one). Then they limited wing size, and,
finally, they outlawed his sucker car.

As for Ford, watch out -- JB may be lurking. d8-) Personally, I think
Ford almost ruined sports car racing. But their cars were brilliant and
also broke a lot of new ground.

You'll be on your own, Ed.
I'm not a racing guy but I have heard the same thing from people that are
and do.

Hall ran the sucker car in Can Am for awhile. They ran at Laguna Seca while
I was racing. Was really bad when he first went out, as it sucked up all
the dust off the race course and made it hard to see the track of you behind
him. One of my pit crew got in trouble with Halls auto tranny. Was leaning
in to the car moving the lever, when his crew got POed. Hall was really a
nice guy. Was very helpful and friendly with all the Corvette drivers.
Also helped that he was one of the richest men in America at the time. I
drove by Rattlesnake raceways at his ranch in Midland in 1964. Nothing out
there but oil wells.