Robert Smith

Default Was, "Surprising Review - Chinese Delta 14" Bandsaw 28-206/276

Greg G. wrote in message
WD thus spake:

Too late now, you should have posted it yesterday and it would have
encouraged me to pick up their only bandsaw, a Delta 28-276.

Sorry, I forgot about it until this morning as I was sorting through a
pile of roofing material reciepts. Like you, I discovered too late
that I could have picked up a small medium duty lathe for $223.

Oh well, maybe next year...

Can someone encourage me NOT to buy a Grizzly G0514 a 19" 3hp bandsaw?
It will be use mostly for resawing, since my Crapsman cannot or
struggling to rip a 10 to 12 feet, 6/4 hard maple.

I live just outside Harrisburg, Pa. about 2 months ago I drove up to
Muncy to get the 17" Grizzly Band saw. If you get a chance you have to get
to one of their show rooms. Man that place is packed full of machinery. They
have all their bandsaws lined up in a row. And I was very very very tempted
to go with the 19" instead of the 17". I was actually tempted to go with the
16" and the cast iron wheels but, I needed the extra depth of cut. I was
some what concerned about the aluminum wheels on the 17" but I decided to
give it a try, so I ended up with the 17".
Took it home, uncrated it, wiped off all the cosmoline. Assembled it,
stuck a 220 plug on the end of it. Put a 1" wide 2tpi blade on it, line up
the rip fence straight with the miter slot. Stuck a 4' long rough cut oak
2x8 on edge against the fence. Oops the board had a bow, so I stuck my 6ft.
level against the fence and held the board against that, so both its ends
hit the level. Cut about 1/4" off at the end, 3/4 off at the middle. The
thing cut like butter, pushed as fast as I was comfortable with. No
problems.
After I got the first side straight, I laid that down on the table and
took a cut along the 2" way just to straighten things up. Then stood it back
up on the 2" width, set the fence to 13/16 and cut the board. The blade
seemed to cut in toward the fence about 1/16 so I checked the blade guides
again. (I didn't get the ball bearing guides, I liked the ones that came on
the saw better). I adjusted the guides, and cut the rest of the 2x8 into
13/16 strips. It cut great and very straight. I made a sled for it, and
actually use it to cut basket handle blanks, (1x3/16x48 long), out of oak,
ash, and hickory that I cut off my wood lot with no problems at all. I
normally use 4ft. long logs, but I have rigged up supports so I can cut
longer logs also. They have a horizontal saw mill also, but it's way past my
budget.
Also I got a couple 1/8" wide blades for it, and they are great for
cutting stuff I used to have to use the scroll saw for.
As far as I could tell the 19" is built identical to the 17" so I am
sure you will be very happy with it. I know a number of people don't like
Grizzly, but I haven't had any trouble with anything I have gotten from
them. I have been a machinist for 26 years, and figure if anything is to far
off, I can just make a new part. I have yet to have to do that with any
machine from Grizzly. Now if you want to talk Crapsman, that's a whole
nuther story. I had a Crapsman wood lathe, that I milled a complete new head
stock for. What ever **** metal they made it out off, the bearings kept
loosing up. I kept boring out the hole larger and larger and getting bigger
bearings for in it. I even made a steel bushing that I started pressing the
bearings into. But the base metal kept wearing big. So I finally just made a
new headstock.
Anyway have fun with your new bandsaw.