Posted to sci.electronics.repair,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Oxidisation of Seagate & WDC PCBs

On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 22:33:49 +0000 (UTC), Sergey Kubushyn
wrote:

I'm right here in the US and I had 3 of 3 WD 1TB drives failed at the same
time in RAID1 thus making the entire array dead.

That's the real problem with RAID using identical drives. When one
drive dies, the others are highly likely to follow. I had that
experience in about 2003 with a Compaq something Unix server running
SCSI RAID 1+0 (4 drives). One drive failed, and I replacing it with a
backup drive, which worked. The drive failure was repeated a week
later when a 2nd drive failed. When I realized what was happening, I
ran a complete tape backup, replaced ALL the drives, and restored from
the the backup. That was just in time as both remaining drives were
dead when I tested them a few weeks later. I've experienced similar
failures since then, and have always recommended replacing all the
drives, if possible (which is impractical for large arrays).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D