Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default What is a "Flattener"?

SonomaProducts.com wrote:

Was this a troll and everyone is playing along or have I entered the
twilight zone where the concept and reason for of a Jointer has
vanished?

You got a 15" jointer, Sonoma????

The sled concept works w/ either a planer or thickness sander; I believe
there have been what OP asked about but never became very popular; if
I'm not mistaken they are a "surfacing planer".

Places I was aware of in VA/NC (like the Lane factory in Alta Vista, VA)
used two-sided planers to prepare their rough stock and get a parallel
faces before final thicknessing...

http://www.mlsmachinery.com/onlineCatalog/catalog.asp?cat=1420

/Geezeralert
My current planer, a Delta Model 13, the little but mighty precursor to
the lunchbox altho it weighs 250 lbs came from a small manufacturer in
PA when they upgraded 30+ years ago--at the time they had nine separate
lines of five of them in a row each at a fixed thickness and a pair
operated each, one feeding and another passing the output to the next in
the line at the end of which was the desired thickness. They ensured
stock was "flat enough" from the mill.
Geezeralert/