Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] keithw86@gmail.com is offline

Default Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

On Apr 12, 12:23*am, Doug Winterburn wrote:
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Apr 2010 21:16:41 -0700, Doug Winterburn
wrote:

Morris Dovey wrote:
On 4/10/2010 9:05 PM, LDosser wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

Sorry, but after spending more than a half-century developing software
(link in sig),
I'll see your Spectra 70/45 and raise you an RCA 501 and 301. )
You win - besides, the 70/45 was just a thin film approximation to a
360/30 (same instruction set and I/O devices, but had a sexier front
panel)

By "thin film", do you mean it also had the cros (capacitance read only
memory) instruction set as the 360/30? *It was punch card size mylar
with copper traces that were punched out on one of four sides of a
squeare or some such. *The first time I saw the 30 power on and the cros
"pump up" to push the cros punch card ros together, I wondered "WTF"?

Then there was the 360/40 with the "tros" micro programmed instruction
set...

Then there was the 360/75 with no microcode.

That's the one I started with in '64.

Must have been a first. *The /360 was announced in '64. *I didn't use the /75
until '67 (I was a Junior in high school .

It was an IBM *punch card I/O Fortran IBM machine we used in college in
'64 - can't remember the IBM model number.

Akshooly, it was '66 when I went to work for IBM and went to 360 OS
school in Endicott (DOS), and then Poughkeepsie (OS). *Classrooms full
of ashtrays and smoke so thick, you could barely see the blackboard and
the instructor with his [bad] hairpiece. *Cigs were $0.35 a pack in the
vending machines in the hallways with 2 cents taped to each pack making
them $0.33.

Lots of Beamers around these parts. I feel like the kid listening to
the old war stories (started in P'ok in '74, moved to BTV in '93, and
retired in '06). ;-)