Silvan

Default Looking for opinions on mid-size woodturning tools

David Babcock wrote:

Well I guess I found out I like turning, SWMBO yells at me to "turn of
that damn machine, dust yourself off and get in here for supper", never
thought I would have to be called to eat.

You've discovered the real secret to my recent weight loss.

Not the lathe per se, since I just got that, but my shop in general.
Usually by the time I get around to dinner, it's stone cold, and not very
appetizing.

I'm a total newbie turner with only one hour of experience (and a busted
fingernail and a dent in my wall to show for my troubles) but here are my
thoughts...

I have a JET mini. Similar to the Delta midi from what I hear. My
immediate aim is to turn a chess set, which will require some fairly tight
little curves.

Based on my initial experiments with some really crappy 8-piece turning set
I bought off of eBay five years ago (took me awhile to get the lathe!) I
can't see buying the mini tools anytime soon. Certainly not to start with.

* I was able to get pretty tight little curves in my spindles with
full-sized tools

* I had enough trouble controlling full-sized tools, and I think small tools
would be way more likely to turn into pointy missiles in my fumbly,
uncertain hands.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/