Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

On Apr 11, 1:47*pm, Tegger wrote:
"Pete C." wrote nster.com:

Tegger wrote:

Apparently you have not done the math, or have made some mistakes:

60W equiv. 13W CFL, 8,000hr rated life, $1.58 ea (8pk)
60W incandescent, 1,000hr rated life, $0.6225 ea (8pk)

Last time I bought incandescents, they were 30 each for a pack of four.

Now that incandescents are to be phased out, prices are going up, but
that's an artificial increase.

CFL cost for 8,000 hours = $1.58
Incandescent cost for 8,000 hours = $4.98

Or $2.40 for the incandescents at the price I used to be able to pay.

And your numbers get thrown wholly out of whack if a few CFLs blow
before their rated lives, which I'm discovering is not an uncommon
occurrence.

CFL savings in lamp cost alone $3.40

CFL energy cost for 8,000 hrs at 13W (104kWh) at $0.15/kWh = $15.60
Incandescent cost for 8,000 hours at 60W (480kWh) at $0.15/kWh =
$72.00

CFL energy savings over 8,000 hours $56.40

Total CFL savings over 8,000 operating hours for one lamp = $59.80

Total CFL savings over the life of the 8 lamps in the package =
$478.40

If we presume that the 7 yr life listed for the 8,000 hr lamp life is
reasonable (it's about 3hrs/day), and the household has 8 lamps that
are used regularly (pretty average), the yearly savings of the CFLs
works out to $68.34 or $5.70 per month.

$5.70 per month doesn't sound like a whole lot,

That's the problem; it's a trivial amount (I give up one Starbuck's
latte a month and there's my $5.70 savings right there). Plus I get ugly
lighting unless I buy just the right kind of bulb; I need a special kind
to put upside down, a special kind for over the stove; you're not really
supposed to toss them out with the trash, etc., etc....

No thanks.

--
Tegger- Hide quoted text -

View it this way. Incandesants are Electric Heaters, that as a by
product out put light. In the visable spectrum you only see about 4-6%
of the energy used as visable light, the rest is heat output in an
incandesant. So take 11, 100w incandesants and its equal to running a
1000w electric resistance heater. In winter its not so bad, in summer
its an extra 1000w you will need to run you AC longer to remove that
1000w of extra heat. Now consider the fact electricity is at least 50%
more than NG per BTU, and you see the wasted energy. Incandesants
output 10-15 LPW, CFls 60-75 LPW, LED 80-100 LPW [ In a spot beam] so
ratings can be skewed to be deceptive. CFLs are winners hands down.