Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default CFL/ zapper problems

David Nebenzahl wrote in message
.com...
On 4/10/2010 10:23 PM Phil Allison spake thus:

"Ca****cher"

Had a similar problem with a dish network box about 2-3 years ago. The
CFL was in a floor lamp line-of-sight about eight feet in front of the
box. Pressing a key on the remote would yield unexpected results.

After
several days we correlated the problems with the light (which wasn't

used
all the time). I suspect the CFL emitted significant IR which confused
the receiver in the box.

** Ordinary incandescent lamps emit lots of infra-red energy and have

no
such effect - cos the IR is not modulated like the light coming from

the
LED in a remote.

So, what is different about CFLs ?

Well, the internal inverter circuit operates at around 40kHz, so that

must
be the culprit.

But I see no way a CFL can generate MODULATED infra-red light -

certainly
the tiny filaments will not do it and the phosphors have little IR

output
and enough persistence to eliminate light modulation at such a high
frequency.

However, the high voltage, high frequency drive to the fluoro tubes IS
radiated for several metres and can be picked up by sensitive electronic
devices. Just wave a scope probe near one and you will see what I mean.

The photodiode amplifier circuit in an IR receiver is very sensitive,
operating down to the microvolt level, so it must be possible for a CFL
radiating the same operating frequency to interfere with them.

Yes.

Apparently, when you're on your meds it's hard to disagree with you.

Next time I'm faced with some kit with missing IR R/C and the "universal"
ones don't work I will have to try a CFL near it and see what happens.
Monitoring the "datastream " with a scope if there is any effect.
It would seem no one in the thread has tried shielding CFL with IR blocking
plastic and trying , then grounded metal can around the CFL, to establish IR
interference, airborne RFI or mains wiring RFI

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
http://diverse.4mg.com/index.htm