Posted to alt.home.repair

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 19:56:10 -0500, "Pete C."

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:42:28 -0700 (PDT), Roy
wrote:

On Apr 11, 8:49Â am, "Pete C." wrote:
Tegger wrote:

"HeyBub" wrote in
om:

"GE says the new bulb uses just 9 watts and provides a 77% energy
savings while lasting 25 times as long as the 40-watt bulb it's
intended to replace."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...b-lasts-years/

Assume a 40-watt bulb lasts 1000 hours.

40w x 1000 = 40 kwh x $0.15/kwh = $6.00 operating cost over life of
bulb.

The new bulb uses 9 watts. So for the same period,

9w x 1000 = 9 kwh x $0.15/kwh = $1.35 operating cost.

And the difference in purchase price between the two bulbs?

My problem with the CFLs is that the amounts of money they save, over the
time they save it, are exceedingly trivial. Not worth it, to me. It's not
worth it to most consumers either, which is why the bulb industry nas to
lobby the government to ban incandescents in order to create a market for
their CFLs.

--
Tegger

Apparently you have not done the math, or have made some mistakes:

60W equiv. 13W CFL, 8,000hr rated life, $1.58 ea (8pk)
60W incandescent, 1,000hr rated life, $0.6225 ea (8pk)

CFL cost for 8,000 hours = $1.58
Incandescent cost for 8,000 hours = $4.98

CFL savings in lamp cost alone $3.40

That's assuming you ever get one to last 8000 hours. I never have. I
replace CFLs more often than incandescents around here

That's very strange, I don't know what would account for that. You don't
have them on dimmers, or worse yet the old fashioned diode dimmers that
give half wave AC do you? That will kill a CFL very quickly, as will a
lot of short on times as the startups give the most "wear" to a CFL.

No dimmers. Just normal lamps and fixtures. The worst culprits have
been the PAR floods (potlights) which have NEVER lasted more than 14
months - and usually the last 5 or more of that 14 being extremely
slow to light off.
Never had much luch with the F40 tubes either, and "green" t12s are
even worse. I'm down to only 3 of those disasters left in the house.

I DID still have 1 old circline compact flourescent in working
condition up untill about 3 months ago that I bought about 22-25 years
ago. Bought 2 - the first one died about 6 years back. Cannot remember
the manufacturer but it was North American