Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill McKee Bill McKee is offline

Default OT How the Corporations Broke Ralph Nader and America, Too.

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"Bill McKee" wrote in message
Which brings up a classic sports car fanatic trivia question: What
did GTO stand for, as in Pontiac GTO or Ferrari GTO? It was an
abbreviation in Italian, but most people don't know what it means
even after you translate it into English. d8-)

Grand Tourisimo wan't it?

you could be competitive in a BP Corvette that cost maybe $3k plus
the car to build. Couple years later you were looking at $50k plus
the car.

I've got a good friend, Noel Park, that is still racing his '55 and '57
Corvettes.

--
John R. Carroll

Friend I raced with, Paul Reinhart still races his 57. And he is 79 or 80
now. Still one of the prettiest vettes on the course. He was a Union 76
dealer in Oakland and took a Trident oil can down to the local paint supply
and said I want these colors. Got them. He had one of the first 63 Vette
factory race cars. Sponsored by Cochran and Celli Chevrolet. He and Bill
Sherwood got them. Came with factory disk brakes a year before they were
available to the public. Did not work as well as the drums originally.
Paul complained he could not get over 5000 RPM when driving the car from St.
Louis to Oakland. 3 oz out of balance crankshaft. Duntov went ballistic
from what I heard.