Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll[_3_] John R. Carroll[_3_] is offline

Default OT How the Corporations Broke Ralph Nader and America, Too.

Wes wrote:
"John R. Carroll" wrote:

LOL
I still have a couple of chrome plated die cast emblems that say
"Vega Chaparral".
GM was pretty far along when Hall complained.

I remember the Cosworth Vega. What was the Vega Chaparral?

I don't think so but it's been a while.
Either Buick or Oldsmobile sold a Monza and the GT version had a V-6 in it.
That was the car IIRC.
GM had trademarked the Monza name in about 1960 and intended to use that for
the Corvair but I believe they had trouble there as well and went with
"Spyder". There is an entire, fascinating history behind some of these
product names. Had GM gone to Hall, he'd have let them have the name for
nothing but they didn't and when he found out, he tried to jack GM up. The
tooling was done and everything.
LOL

That was why I knew about it.
GM had to involve someone that could put the effort to get replacement done
both inside (Styling/Division) and outside through the vendor network that
could ink a large order.

Interesting talk around the dinner table at my folks place. I've got one
hell of a Dolly Cole story that I'll tell one day.

--
John R. Carroll