Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

On 11/04/10 6:07 PM, DanG wrote:
Amen, the ones I have tried have all blown. They have been name
brand, not discount bulbs. The one on the front porch is still
going. By choice I will not be investing in any more CFL or LED
until the technology improves.

There's your problem, you think you're investing when you buy a light bulb.

But it's true about LED bulbs not lasting all that long. There's a huge
difference between a low power, 20mA LED indicator lamp that will likely
last for a hundred years, and a high-power LED lamp that is designed to
actually illuminate a given area. High power LEDs generate an enormous
amount of heat at the very small semiconductor junction. It's very
difficult to adequately heat sink these junctions. If you look at
something like a 3W MR16 lamp, you can see the amount of metal used for
the heat sink. If you block the air flow across the bulb by putting it
into a sealed enclosure (like for automotive lamps) then it will quickly
self destruct. Incandescent bulbs dissipate the filament heat through
the glass of the bulb which is much easier to manage.