Posted to rec.woodworking
Neil Brooks Neil Brooks is offline

Default Just got a planer... Anything I should know?

On Apr 11, 1:55*pm, dpb wrote:
Neil Brooks wrote:
On Apr 11, 9:37 am, GarageWoodworks
wrote:

Never plane anything less than 12" long. *I learned the hard way.

Even when I cheat -- like, last night -- and carpet tape shorter
pieces onto a carrier board -- ...

"Trick" is to follow the shorter piece immediately w/ a longer piece of
same thickness so the infeed roller doesn't fall of the end of the short
one...still, shouldn't ever be shorter than distance between outfeed and
infeed.

I did that, even.

It was weird.

I had them carpet taped, front and back, too.

Sides and ends to a jewelry box. Laid them out in alternating order,
atop a long piece of oak. Ends were touching, board to board.

Brrrrrrr.... BANG!

Don't you HATE it when that happens ??