Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default What is a "Flattener"?

spaco wrote:
I guess I could do something similar with my 3 X 24 belt sander, but
won't that process leave abrasive grains in the wood that could dull my
planer knives later?

Not so's you'll notice assuming you do at least a modicum of cleanup...

If I did it anyway, wouldn't I need some way to hold the board
immobile, propped up on the twist?

Yes.

I did some googling and found a site where they talked about various
kinds of "sleds" that you would lay the board on and then just take
light cuts till the board got flat on one side, sorta like an upside
down jointer.

I know this isn't a "productive" reply to your suggestion, but I'm
looking for a way to do it myself. I have saved up 5000 or 10000 bf of
various species of rough sawn lumber since about 1980, and I'd like to
be able to go to the woodshed, pick out a piece for a project and then
process it right here at home.
My planer is a simple floor mounted 15" job from Taiwan. It weighs
about 500 pounds.

So, use the planer and the sled concept. Done. That's what you have
the planer for, isn't it????