Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

On 4/10/2010 8:38 PM, Dick Snyder wrote:
wrote in message

First you take the word of someone else instead of making up your own mind
about a particular program; then you don't want to spend money, or your
time, on learning a skill to do what you are asking others to advise you
on?

Best stick to your paper and pencil ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Boy that is kind of hostile response. If I had taken the word of my friend,
I wouldn't have bothered with the post. I just don't want to invest a large
amount of time learning a tool if it can't do the job. The replies I have
seen so far indicate that it is worth my time to it out.

Actually, there was no need for pussyfooting around, it was sound
advice, if taken, will save you wasting your time and money ... advice
based on a good deal of practical experience ... take it or leave it.

The only way to know if something is suitable for your use is to try it
_yourself_, taking the word of someone else is unwise and will only cost
your both time and money ... particularly true of software used for
designing woodworking projects.

What works for me may or may not work for you. AAMOF, you will _never_
find that out by asking here. To find that out with lasting satisfaction
takes a disciplined, internal reality check at the beginning.

`Will I be satisfied with 2D, or do I need 3D capability?

`What is the general consensus of users regarding ease of use and
learning curve?

`What about support, and very important in this day and age, is their an
online community where support and answers to questions are easily
obtainable?

`Is third party support/information/expertise readily available, like
books from bookstores?

`Would it be beneficial to me if the software lends itself easily to
generating things like cutlist's for ordering woodworking material,
optimzing utilization of that material and cutting down on waste?

`Will I ever have the need to collaborate with others on a design?

`If so, is it important that my ultimate choice have the ability to make
that easy, and cheaply done for both parties?

`What do I need as far as features, with particular thought to features
that I will pay for, but never use?

In short, those are just few of the questions you should answer
internally _before_ you spend your money, and your time, both concerns
of yours expressed in your original post.

Again, the answers/results is different for everyone, but if you find a
logical fit and don't spend the time to become facile with the program,
you will have wasted your time, and possibly money, and will indeed will
have been better off sticking with paper and pencil, as first noted.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08