Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default LED bulb: 17 Years, $50.00

On Apr 11, 6:12*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
"GE says the new bulb uses just 9 watts and provides a 77% energy savings
while lasting 25 times as long as the 40-watt bulb it's intended to
replace."

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/...b-lasts-years/

Assume a 40-watt bulb lasts 1000 hours.

40w x 1000 = 40 kwh x $0.15/kwh = $6.00 operating cost over life of bulb.

The new bulb uses 9 watts. So for the same period,

9w x 1000 = 9 kwh x $0.15/kwh = $1.35 operating cost.

My 9w =40 watt Cfls from HD have a 9 yr warranty. The 9 and 13 watt
Cfls cost 1.85 a 4 pack or about 2$ with tax, thats only 0.50c a
piece. The HD Cfls have a 61.1 LPW rating and many LEDs are only 80
LPW rating, thats only a 20% increase for a bulb costing maybe 300%
more! And the Leds ive seen are not the Warm White like your old
incandesant or modern Soft White Cfls, they are near 2900 K, not the
2700K that is "Warm White'.

Ive looked at them, the Leds are non dimmable, interior grade, 300%
more in cost, only 20% more efficent and basicly offfered as a Spot
light , [ by Leds direct lighting design]. So what you have is limited
spot light useage and a reciept you cant loose for many years.

Also that compared those only to incandesant, do a Cfl comparison in
advertising and its obvious Leds dont make sence yet as a prime time,
complete replacement home bulb. The Leds ive seen are rated at 80-100
Lpw , but this is actualy a Spot light configuration. you can get T8
18" tube that are rated 80-100Lpw for near 300 % less of better color
rendition and some new name brand Cfls are near 70 Lpw. So again Leds
are way overpriced.

www.1000bulbs.com point out that with the rush to market these high
priced new bulbs that 80% of the ratings you read are bull ****, I
bought a Lights Of America Led, [ makers of many high quaility
commercial lighting products] and found the 9w Led to be a total lie
and terrible color rendition, it put out about 25% as much as a HD
Cfl ! Im looking, but havnt found Leds to be usefull for anything
except Can lights, and I need dimable and cant find that either, so I
wait and buy HD Cfls cheap.