Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andrew Rossmann Andrew Rossmann is offline

Default OT - Blue gas ?

In article ,
says...

So, what gas ionises with an intense and very 'clean' blue light ? A few of
these lamps have sprung up around my town. A couple light up some pieces of
art school stainles steel 'sculpture' in a local park. I hadn't taken too
much notice of them, until another example appeared on the top of a tall
pole, illuminating the vehicle compound of a premises on the same business
park as my wife's place is.

The lamp itself looks like a typical high pressure sodium type - basically
tubular with a bulge in the middle. But the light it gives off is an
extremely intense blue. What's in there, and what is the rationale behind
illuminating a compound with this colour ? Seems to chase off the shadows
pretty good, but I wouldn't have thought that it suited CCTV very well ?

If it's in a public park, why not check with your local park district or
whoever is in charge? They should know just what type of lights they
are, or at least who to ask.

law!!
http://home.comcast.net/~andyross