Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Buerste Buerste is offline

Default OT Responsible millionaires for higher taxes

On 2010-04-11, F George McDuffee
wrote:
To be sure the money/wealth would again be quickly concentrated
into a few hands, but most likely these would be different hands.

In many cases, the founder of the fortune/dynasty passed on years
ago, and his heirs have no real idea how he did it, only a
collection of family myths/legends.

Great point and it is something that I completely missed.

I remember how years ago, my girlfriend had a side job and worked at a
house occupied by a rich family, with several adult siblings living
together.

I was invited ones to look and was kind of impressed, these heirs
lived a life of leisure, seemed very kind to one another, I remember
how they sat in chairs and discussed civilly some latest developments
of something. They were just very nice people all around. I would not
terribly mind such life for my kids.

It seemed to be great in very many ways, but for sure they would not
be able to re-earn their wealth, if it was redistributed.

In other cases the socio-economic/cultural/political
circumstances [and luck] that allowed the growth of the original
dynasty/trust have completely changed, e.g. Rockefeller would be
unable to re-establish an oil monopoly, Sam Walton would be
unable to reestablish Walmart, etc.

I would invest, on the spot, into any business that Sam Walton would
open, in this hypothetical scenario.

Don't you think your kids deserve the fruits of your labor more than the
cheese-checkers? Why do you have ANY assets? There are people with nothing
that DESERVE your stuff? Why should you work hard to provide for your
family...somebody else will.

I once met a staunch Communist. I asked him how it works. "If you had four
chickens and your neighbor had none, would you give him two chickens?" "Of
course! That's how it works!", he said. "If you had two pigs and your
neighbor had none, would you give him a pig?" "Of course! That's how it
works!", he said. "If you had two cows and your neighbor had none, would
you give him a cow?" "NO!" he said, "I HAVE two cows!"

How many "cows" do you have? I'm sure you have neighbors that don't have an
air compressor or a lathe, or a mill or as much money as you.