Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Tile in garage?

In article , "Steve W."
wrote:

stryped wrote:
Would you use this in a workshop/garage?
http://www.armstrong.com/commfloorin...y/_/N-75hZ6vl?
rpp=64

There is a local tractor dealer who has tile on the floor of his
showroom. It looks good BUT he has a big problem with changes in
humidity making the floor SLICK. Plus every spot where the tractor tires
touch the tile they leave a spot that looks like a chemical burn.

I bet oil won't help those tiles either, and machining tends to be messy.

I looked at tile for my shop and decided that a good epoxy floor paint
would be better. I wanted a simple gray floor with some color stripes
for warning around the lift and crane area.
One of the MAJOR items in floor prep is to make 100% SURE that the floor
is clean. No oil, dust, dirt, or water. Apply it when your sure the
temperature isn't going to swing a lot over a couple days and when the
humidity is low.

One thing to look at when you use the paint is what you want to add to
make the surface slip resistant if it doesn't have an additive in it
already. I added white play sand directly into the paint and rolled it
on. Came out nice and the sand is just enough to provide grip. For the
colored chips I used a cheap blower that was made for dusting plants.

I had my basement floor painted with gray latex deck paint, so oil wouldn't soak
in and I could wash it. Didn't quite work, and paint was not the problem. The
concrete itself wore away to dust wherever I habitually stood, like in front of
the machines. The concrete probably didn't have enough cement in it, and so
wasn't strong enough.

Joe Gwinn