Posted to rec.woodworking
Garagewoodworks Garagewoodworks is offline

Default Do you use any computer based tool for doing project layout?

On Apr 10, 7:07*am, "Dick Snyder" wrote:
I have always designed my projects using graph paper, ruler, pencil, and
(lots of) eraser. I have a somewhat more complicated job I want to do now..
There is a design for an entertainment center in FWW that I want to adapt.. I
would like to take the measurements from the article, enter them on a
computer somehow, and then change the things I want. I have a friend who
uses Google Sketchup. He found it awkward to use and not that sophisticated.
I don't want to invest the money and a lot of learning time on a CAD program
unless I can get a recommendation on this group for a product that one of
you likes to use. Should I stick to my paper, pencil, and eraser?

TIA.

Dick Snyder

I routinely use TurboCAD before starting any woodworking project (w/
the exception of a cutting board, etc.).
I have tried Sketchup and I also found it difficult to use/learn
coming from TurboCAD. If I invested more time I'm sure I could learn
to use it, but I couldn't see investing the time considering I already
know TC.

Good luck.